Monday, June 10, 2013

Three weeks

That's how long it has been since my last post.

Am I the only one who feels like a family can "have nothing interesting going on" while being extremely busy at the same time?

A recap of the last three weeks:

-My garden froze. In another Case of the Curious Weather of Northern Nevada, my beautiful garden FROZE on the 21st of May. Even being covered wasn't enough to save it from the freak happening 27 degree night.  I was so sad.  I cried a little, pouted all day long and had some drinks at the nursery (We have an amazing nursery that serves drinks sometimes.  Does it get better than that?) and commiserated with other  gardeners who had suffered the same fate. I ended up having to replace all of my tomatoes  - all 15 of them. Ugh. I think we are back on track now.

Thank goodness.

-We have had two yard sales.  Yeah, TWO.  My parents recently moved from a 300 acre ranch with three houses to a one acre lot in a subdivision and one house - so they needed 300 times less crap.  So we had a yard sale at their house one weekend and one at their storage shed the next.  I helped out and also took the opportunity to unload some of the stuff we had laying around here.  While it feels good to be free of our crap, my dad and I have been joking that the prospect of having another yard sale is enough to deter us from ever buying another thing ever again.  We certainly got an education in the Wonderful Weird World of Yard Sale-ing - let's just say that we are not cut out for it.

The kids suffered right along with us.  Poor things.

For Yard Sale #2, my husband was conveniently out of town....  I now see just how convenient that was. LOL I had to make sure that no Yard Sale Weirdies (believe me - they were like 99% weirdies) took my kids or ran them over with their cars AND do yard sale deals - while he drank beer in Arizona with his friends.... I love my husband to pieces, but for this he should be flogged.

-Hayden has had Hand Foot and Mouth Disease.  AGAIN.  She ran a fever all weekend (during Yard Sale #2) and had a little runny nose, but I figured that she was fighting off a cold.  Eventually, I figured out that I was wrong.  I noticed that after the fever subsided, her symptoms were a lot like she had had in the Fall - the first time that HFMD struck this family.  That time was mild, and I you can do is wait, so I didn't freak out.  But this time was WAY worse.  Her gums were swollen up over her teeth and bleeding; her tongue, throat and teeth were covered in blisters.  She cried all day for a week.  Awful.

Also, lemme tell you something - if you don't brush your three-year-old's teeth for almost week because she is in such pain, her teeth will be SOOOOOO dirty.  And her breath will smell so bad.  I couldn't take it anymore and I tried to gently clean them.  Even gentle cleaning made them bleed like I had punched her in the mouth. I have never seen so much blood come from a mouth unless it had been punched.  I barely touched her. I felt awful. We both cried.

But oddly, after the blood stopped flowing and we stopped crying, her mouth looked and felt better.  I am hoping that we are now on the down hill side of this.  She has been eating and drinking yesterday and today without crying and the complaining has been minimal. My fingers are crossed that it is almost over and that we never have to deal with that again.

-We made a list of 100 Things to do With Our Summer.

 This weekend, we were able to complete several items - and we can't wait to complete the rest!!

-I have re-started the good old Felt Food Factory. Remember this?  Well, I am revisiting my felt food making days.  I will make a separate blog post on this shortly.  Let's just say that my craftiness has been EPIC lately. LOL

-We spent our weekend like this:

And we loved every second of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment