Background

Thursday, January 12, 2012

A New Resolve

The holidays are finally over.  I love them, but I am so glad that they come but once a year.  Because Hayden's birthday is the week after New Year's, it feels like the season lasts an extra week for us.

With all kinds of family in town, all  kinds of gatherings, and all kinds of schedules, things have been a bit chaotic around here.  We aren't really "schedule" types, but even we have a routine.  And the routine was out the window for the weeks during Christmas, New Year's,  and  Hoot's Birthday.

Now that we are back on track, I have had some time to think about the fabled New Year's Resolution.

I don't usually make a NYR because I feel like no one keeps them.  But honestly, I need to make some changes in my life.

Some people want to get fit, lose weight, eat better, save money, whatever.  Sure, I want that too (who doesn't?) but right now, in regards to my NYR, there is a more pressing matter.

I am sick of being such a hot freaking mess.

I am sick of my house looking like Hell.

I am sick of looking around and realizing that we are living in a heap of laundry and eating frozen pizza AGAIN and feeling too flipping over-whelmed to even start fixing it.

I have got to get my poop in a group in the housekeeping department.

It is no secret that I am not the greatest housekeeper (and if you didn't know that, you have obviously not talked to my husband or my mother-in-law in the last 8 years we have been together LOL) and it is no secret that having Hayden two years ago didn't help my motivation and being pregnant with and then bringing Carly Kate home has all but killed what time and energy I could once scrape up.

I love mothering, I love crafting, I love decorating, I love cooking, I love entertaining.

But I really hate cleaning up. 

I am not filthy, by any means.  We aren't nasty, we aren't living in squallier.  I am, however, very disorganized.  Add to that very busy with a wild two-year-old and a needy little nursling, and I am a bit overwhelmed.

My husband has been picking up a lot of that slack (<<< another thing you already know if you have spent any amount of time visiting with said husband or my mother-in-law in the last 8 years LOL) because, oddly, I am a Hot Mess who married a Neat Freak.  And then I gave birth to two more Hot Messes.  LOL A love story made in Heaven.

So I am resolving to do better.  I mentioned this on Facebook one day and a friend passed along the Motivated Moms Checklist and I am using that.  It helps break the chores into manageable chunks each day.  Consult the list, complete the list of chores and tasks and move on with your life.  And it even works in quiet time for moms, reading to kids, and remembering weird things you never think about like getting up on a stool and cleaning the light fixtures in your bathrooms.  I did that yesterday.  And let's just say, ew.  LOL

So wish me luck.  So far, so good.  It is a little embarrassing to put this out there for some reason, but I am hoping that it will keep me accountable.  I am in no way thinking my home will look like a Better Homes and Gardens magazine.  I am after all, I'm a realist - and I DO have two small children (one of whom has earned the moniker of Hurricane Hayden) and I do have a life.  But I have hit the end of my rope and somethings gotta change.

Please stay tuned for more Tales from a Recovering Slob.

No comments:

Post a Comment