Background

Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Another day of Christmas prep: Cookies for Santa

Hayden and I have been hard at work making cookies for The Big Guy today.

When I was a kid, it was a Christmas tradition for my cousin, my brothers and I to make and decorate sugar cookies with my Granny. 

In retrospect, I see that it meant we would show up, make and enormous mess and leave my poor Granny to clean it up!  But, like the sewing projects I mentioned last week (which now that I think of it had the same "show up, make mess, best be hittin' the dusty trail" routine! Poor Granny!) the days we spent together making cookies to leave out for Santa's midnight snack were some of the best days I spent with my dear Granny. :-)

So I decided to share that with my girls.   This was Hayden's first time making cookies, and as I discovered when it was over, I got paid back for the huge mess we left at my Granny's all those times. LOL  But she did really good - and we had so much fun.  Santa is going to have quite a cookie feast come Saturday night!!!

This started at 7:30 this morning, when Hayden crawled into bed with me and said, "Hey, Mom.  MOM.  Wake up.  Haydie make cookies."  (Note to self: Don't tell Hayden anything the night be fore unless you want to be accosted with up before you have had appropriate amounts of caffeine.)

Finally, it was time to begin,  She was bursting at the seams.



Thankfully, remembering back to the days of making cookies with Granny, I thought ahead and made the dough yesterday while she napped.  Waiting for it to chill would have been torture for her - just like it was for me!

We sprinkled powdered sugar and rolled and cut.... and snuck a taste or two in between.





And we baked and sprinkled and decorated.



And got very messy in the process!

Carly even joined us when she woke up from her little morning cat-nap.

And of course we sampled the fruits of our labor.

They got the HootOwl Seal of Approval.


They may not look like Martha Stewart made 'em, but we are pretty proud!  Hope Santa shows up here hungry, because my little Hoot made him a sleigh-load of goodies!

No comments:

Post a Comment