Background

Saturday, March 3, 2012

We are "feeling a little chicken" this weekend

I fancy myself to be a bit of a "hobby homesteader" of sorts.

I love gardening, and I love thinking up ways to "put up" the spoils of our labor. I like freezing homemade tomato sauce or salsa and I have recently started canning.  I like feeling like my hands are busy and my family is enjoying something that I made or grew myself.

Today we planted our little seed starts for our tomatoes and chile peppers.  Hayden liked playing in the dirt and Buggy liked riding in the carrier on my back. LOL


This was the first time that I have ever put her in a back carry in the Ergo and she liked it so much! (Here is even a rare picture of me! LOL)


She even napped in there.


When we moved from town to this house two years ago, I started fantasizing about getting a few chickens.  Not a big flock, just a few hens that could lay eggsfor the girls to eat for breakfast and a simple chore that can help them have a sense of pride and responsibility.  After two years of deliberation, we welcomed some new girls to our little homestead today.

Meet Camilla, Blanche, Peck, and Yoko.



Hayden is so excited about her "little chee-chee birds" - she was a little scared at first, but now she loves them.  We told her she isn't allowed to pick them up, just pet them (I don't want her to squeeze them) and she likes to remind us to be soft every two seconds and gushes about how they are "So tinty! So cute!"






So, we are chicken farmers now - and I am just giddy.

No comments:

Post a Comment