Background

Monday, April 22, 2013

Super Girls and the Battle Against Global Bad Manners.

We are all going through a bit of a "Super Hero" phase.

It all started with a handful of $2 t-shirts off of the clearance rack at Wal-Mart. 

 
Ever since I bought these shirts for Hayden (and one Avengers one for Carly, too, after she cried that she needed "Hooper Roes" too) these girls are playing super heroes a lot.  An episode of Daniel Tiger's Neighborhood where he wears a cape to the doctor's office added fuel to their Super Hero fire.
 


 

 This morning, they asked me for super hero capes.  (You may recall that is happened once before, but Hayden now claims that that is a "baby cape that will make her hair a mess" plus there isn't one for Carly.  How can I argue with that three year old logic?)

So off to the WalMart Fabric department we headed. And I had them all whipped up by the time they woke up from their naps.





 

 


Now, while these capes really are adorable, the story that I really want to tell you is the story of Super Hoot's adventures at Wal-Mart. 

Last week while we are at Wal-Mart (yeah, we go there a lot) the lady that checked us out was down right rude to me as she was checking my groceries.  I had chosen a water bottle that didn't have a tag on it and she was very put out and made several exasperated comments about it and finally at the end of the transaction, She barked, "So? What do you want me to do about this? (shaking the water bottle at me) Do you just wanna say forget it or do I have to deal with it?"

Uh, really? All of this drama over a water bottle? Give me a break.  I answered her, somewhat icily, but still very calmly, "I would like to buy everything that I had in my cart so I don't have to 'deal' with it later.  I didn't choose one without a price tag on purpose, so there is no need for you to be rude. Now would you like me to go get one with a price tag or would you like to 'deal' with it yourself?"

When we got in the car, Haydie commented that the lady had been grumpy.

I said, "Yes she was. Maybe she was having a bad day, but that doesn't mean that she can to be rude to others.  Even when we are having a bad day, we should still use kind words and be helpful."

Fast forward to today when we went to buy our fabric.  We get in line and the checker is the same lady. Today she is nice as can be. Maybe she is having a little better day, maybe she remembers that I called her on her rudeness, who knows.  Either way, I have put last week's episode behind us and I am also friendly.

Well, turns out that Super Hoot's super power is never forgetting a damned thing. 

Not. A. Damned. Thing.

EVER.

We are unloading our cart onto the little check stand and Hayden points right a the lady, and (so loudly that I am sure that she was heard in the parking lot) says, "Mom! That's her! Remember that time when she was so naughty to you!?  When she was RUDE?"

I look at the checker and she is kind of trying to pretend she doesn't hear my child, but she is blushing. 

I look at Hayden and I whisper, "Stop.  No more talking."

But do you think she listens? No. She keeps going. 

"But MOM! Remember when we got in the car after she was so RUDE? And then you said she was having a BAD DAY but it isn't okay to be so RUDE??  Is she still RUDE, Mom? It isn't nice.  It is  SOOO naughty! Is she a naughty lady? MOM!"

Here is where I died.  I shushed her. She kept talking.  I distracted her by having her help with the groceries.  She kept going.  I hissed at her to mind her own business. 

She. Just. Kept. Talking. 

On and on about how rude that checker was and how naughty it is to be rude to others.

The entire time we were checking out. 

What was probably three minutes felt like 30.  I joined that checker in pretending that I couldn't hear my own kid.

The worst part of it all is that, while it was very embarrassing, it was really FUNNY.  I was trying so hard not to laugh, it almost hurt.  I hope the rude checker didn't see me stifling my laughter.... or maybe I hope she does? I dunno.

Sigh.

My child, Super Hoot - ridding the planet or rudeness, one WalMart checker at a time.

Oy, vey.  :-D








No comments:

Post a Comment