Background

Monday, April 8, 2013

A Typical (False) Spring Day in Nevada

As you may remember from previous posts, the weather here in Nevada can be quite unpredictable at any time of the year.... in the spring time, it can be downright bi-polar.  (remember this?)

Things have been no different around here this spring.

A couple of days ago it was almost hot out. My kids spent he afternoon outside in their underwear, riding their bikes and splashing in a mom-made puddle in their new rain boots.  Yes, I know that there is very little use for rain boots in the desert. My husband was "kind" enough to point that out to me when I bought them.  But how could I resist? Look how cute!!









Sometimes fashion just trumps function. 

Fast forward to today....

 It was cold, windy, snowing at times, raining, hailing, and generally having a temper tantrum.  And sadly, none of that produced enough moisture to warrant the boots!!  It is sort of discouraging - like it starts to feel like it will never warm up enough to feel "springy" before one day we wake up and it is summer and it is 110 degrees and there is no turning back until winter.  (remember this?)

Anyway, we hung around in our pajamas all day, watching movies, eating popcorn, and playing with princesses and Strawberry Shortcake girls until we were blue in the face.  And still it was cold out.

So we decided to make a springy dinner to make us feel better about the whole mess.

We were going to have chicken until I saw Mario making Asparagus Milanese on TV.  I had a ton of asparagus laying around and this seemed like just the thing to do with it.


Let me tell you something - this is GOOD.  Few things in life are as simple or as good as a runny egg yolk and some roasted asparagus.  

I mean it.  

Make this tomorrow.  

Heck, I might eat it for breakfast, lunch, and dinner everyday for the rest of my life. 

For reals.

In the same "springy" vein, The girls and I decided that we would surprise Daddy with some Strawberry Shortcakes.



 Yup, that's the recipe printed on the side of the Bisquick box.  Easy-peesy.

And I had a bunch of child-labor help in the kitchen.




Hayden is really good at cutting the berries.

 I think Carly ate more than she cut, though.



I admit that cooking with my kids is painful.  They touch everything.  And put things in their mouth.  And play in the dishwater.  And argue.  And it makes a mess.  And things that should take 10 minutes take 40 because I have so much" help".

But they really love it.  And we do have fun.  And it (eventually) gets the job done.


And most of the time, my little Foodies-in-Training and I turn out some pretty good eats.


But I'd say that their favorite part of it is eating what they have made with they made with their own little hands. Look at this:


Too busy eating to even give me a smile for the camera.  :-)




No comments:

Post a Comment